Are you an experienced Transport manager looking for a new role?
Do you thrive under pressure?
Have you worked in the warehouse/logistics/distribution sector?
Do you hold CPC?
Our client, a well regarded organisation based on the outskirts of Sudbury, is keen to find a transport manager to join their long serving and successful team.
Part of a large group employing over 1000 staff, you will be integral to the success of the warehouse and the team. This role offers a competitive salary, company benefits and a great working location.
Role and Responsibilities include:
- Managing routing vehicles, taking into account all the legal requirements and those of the customer, to achieve the most cost effective route and utilisation of vehicles and staff.
- Continually assessing and reviewing load valuations and vehicle earnings.
- Working closely with traffic team members to obtain updates and discuss/review/amend with them as appropriate.
- Using the ‘tracker system’ to maximise efficiency of all vehicles by using all relevant reports to monitor driver performance and outline remedial action as required.
- Reporting on vehicle earnings and review with Senior Management Team on a month end basis.
- Full inductions of new employees and agency drivers and pre-brief of existing drivers as required.
- Overseeing the management of all drivers, to ensure control of their working hours and compliance with all legal requirements, whilst minimising the cost of wages.
- Full debrief of all drivers – or ensuring staff covering shift patterns are fully trained and undertake responsibility of debriefs, in Transport Manager’s absence.
- Analysis, tracker checking and processing of time sheets ensuring that they are correctly completed before authorising for payment.
- Dealing with all disciplinary and grievance issues in line with company policy and in conjunction with HR.
- Ensuring driver compliance with Tachograph Rules, that they retain the correct tachographs in their vehicles and that the remainder are handed in at the appropriate date.
- Job checking - rates, allocations, drivers (agency if required), vehicles, dates, locations, loads, descriptions, reference numbers, any special instructions required.
- Ensuring all vehicles and trailers are available as and when requested by the workshop to meet with the company’s obligation as per VOSA and also company ‘O’ Licence requirements.
- Liaising with the workshop to ensure that all vehicle defects are reported, as per the company defect reporting procedure, and that these defects are rectified in a timely manner.
- Full validation of agency invoices, including tracker checking of all associated timesheets and verification of mileage/tachos. All documentation to be filed to provide audit trail.
- Monitoring of pallet returns and non-returns, with relevant customer liaison and instruction to drivers as appropriate.
- Reporting on all accidents/incidents, including customer complaints and ensure follow up claims, costs, actions required are followed through to conclusion.
- Undertaking regular appraisal of all staff responsible to you, identify training needs and produce a plan of action necessary to enable ongoing staff development.
- Chairing weekly team meeting to provide updates and ascertain the needs and concerns of the team.
- Ensuring that all incoming calls are dealt with promptly, motivating staff as required and assisting the caller where possible, or passing to the relevant person.
- Strong management skills - the ability to lead by example, motivate team members and implement the changing needs of the business.
- Extensive knowledge of haulage compliance and all associated legislation.
- In depth experience of industry Health & Safety practices.
- Knowledge of disciplinary procedures.
This is an excellent opportunity - offering progression and development - the current team are keen to deliver their knowledge and expertise to see the right person flourish in this role.